Sunday, April 20, 2014

Dragonflies and fairies

A very peculiar thing happened to me this week. I stopped believing in fairies. 

Last week I stayed with my mother in her home after she had surgery. I spent 8 nights and days in her home. I fixed her meals, brought her medicine and water, stood by as she showered, and cleaned and dressed her incisions. It was such a blessing to have the time and ability to care for this wonderful lady, who over the 55+ years of my life, has been my caregiver time and time again. 


On several occasions during her week long recovery, while mom was napping, I would drive to my home to pick up a change of clothes or a book or perhaps a few ingredients for a meal that I was going to prepare back at mom's house. Each time I went home I couldn't help but notice that food was getting eaten and dishes were getting rinsed and loaded into the dishwasher. Not only THAT, but the dishwasher was getting run AND the dishes were getting back into the cabinets and drawers where they belong. I found myself wondering what little fairy had invaded my home in my absence. You can imagine my relief to know that my husband John, and nephew Dane, who also lives in our home, were not wasting away while I was caring for my mother. In fact, they were 
managing quite well.

No fairies. Just dishpan hands.
Mom is much better now and I've been able to return home. My husband and nephew seemed genuinely happy to have me back. The first night the guys told me not to worry about preparing dinner. They told me that they would have leftovers and were glad to reheat things for themselves. The fairy had trained John and Dane well. I had eaten with mom before leaving her for the day so I settled in for a short evening of television before retiring for the night. Imagine my dismay when upon arising in the morning, I found the kitchen sink full of dirty dishes and leftover food containers from the night before. No dishes were rinsed and loaded into the dishwasher. Guess what? Those dishes weren't going to get washed and returned to their rightful places in the cabinets and drawers either. That is, not unless... I was going to do it. 

No, I don't believe in fairies anymore.

Do you believe in fairies? Do you, like me, often expect what you want or need to magically happen? How can we help others to better care for US?





8 comments:

  1. Michelle, this is so true for me as well. I don't want to have to tell people what I want while, also knowing, I likely won't receive if I don't ask. I do love the idea of fairies, however!!! This is a beautiful blog. Can't wait to see how it evolves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Judy and for the affirmation. ... Pssst (between you and me, I still DO believe in fairies, just not kitchen fairies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The next thing you'll tell us is that there are no handsome princes (or beautiful princesses) waiting to ride in and save us from our humdrum lives and we have to create our own magic!

    It's good to hear from you and I'm looking forward to reading your posts!

    Pat R

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do believe in fairies, but also that they take the day or week off, just like us. I do wish they were active all the time. My uncle believed that if someone wanted to help, they would do it without being asked. One time when I replied that people often don't know how to help unless they are asked, he said, "They should just know." Never quite got that. He was a wonderful man with a big heart, but a very private heart. Thanks for your Fairie story. Maybe show it to John and Dane? Looking forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh Roy, I don't know if I'm brave enough to do that. HA. Where/when will I find my courage?

      Delete
  5. I believe in fairies, but have found that if it is a male fairy you must spell out exactly what you need done.

    ReplyDelete